Monday, December 12, 2011

Formal Night


Some people who take cruises hate the thought of dressing up for formal night; many don’t even go on cruises because of this “requirement”.  Some don’t bother to dress up and just go up to the Lido Bar for dinner that night.  Some show up in the Main Dining Room dressed “inappropriately” and scorn the fact that others “play by the rules”.  I go by the theory that it’s part of the allure of cruising – getting to dress up and play Cinderella at the ball for one night.  I don’t get to do that at home.

On a “normal” (7-day) cruise, there is usually one formal night.  It’s easy to pack one formal dress.  It’s easy to plan a wardrobe for 7 days.  I should say “easier” for some people.  I think I would still tend to over-pack for a 7-day cruise.   Which is why this 4-month cruise was giving me such fits.   I’m not sure I could get 7 days worth of cruising clothes into one small carry-on; maybe a carry-on plus a checked bag – that might be doable.  But, 4- months – no way!!

After months of asking Holland America what to expect in the way of formal attire, I did hear that there would be approximately 16+ formal nights, and some themes were repeated annually – Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, something white for Antarctica, something Indian (sari), sometimes Black and White, or Black and Silver, or Black and Gold, and Mardi Gras. 

As I was looking at formal dresses throughout the spring and summer, these were the colors I hoped to find – red, green, white, black, and purple.  I  had great luck at Fiori Bridal, at David’s Bridal, at Needleman’s – all close to home – but did not have good luck ordering dresses online.

It was not until we finally received our final packet of information late November/early December that the following list was included.  

It turns out there are 18 formal nights on this cruise.  Yikes!

Since each formal dress I purchased needed alterations, it would have been nice to know this list earlier to focus my search on specific colors or styles and to allow time for the seamstress and fittings.   Too late – what I had hanging on the clothes rack would have to suffice! 

For example, I had been told “White” for Antarctica; however, the Winter Ball this year is entitled “Ice Blue”.  So much for the short white dress I bought – unreturnable, of course, as is all formal wear  I found out – but at least I did have a long blue dress.  Hooray!

Needless to say, I don’t have the personality to wear the same black dress or black pants every week.   And while the prevailing theory is to pack for one or possibly two weeks and then rotate, I don’t tend to do anything in small measures.  If I have it in my closet, it goes into the suitcase.  Simple. 

My zodiac sign should have been a peacock, I think.

 I do have one suitcase full of formal dresses.  Just one!   A BIG suitcase, to be sure, but just one!   It’s because I put tissue and plastic wrap and hangers and used a special folding method that the dresses take up a whole suitcase. 

And, in matching up colors and the list, I think I’m going to be okay.  Pictures will posted on the blog.

Do I get points for picking up a couple of Halloween eye masks without knowing there would be a masquerade ball?

8-Jan
Captain's Welcome Reception (formal night, traditional event with on-stage staff introductions by the Captain
14-Jan
Black & Silver Ball (formal night, the first Grand Ball in the Queen's Lounge)
21-Jan
Copacabana Samba (formal night, enjoy this borough's root-style of rhythm, spectacular clothes, food, and culture)
26-Jan
Viva Las Vegas (formal night fun-raiser)
31-Jan
Ice Blue Winter Ball (formal night, Antarctica's splendor dance on board)
7-Feb
Captain Bligh's   Dinner (festive formal night of bounty served by many "Ole Men"
14-Feb
Valentine's Day Hearts & Flowers Ball (formal night to celebrate love at this time-honored Queen's Lounge Ball)
21-Feb
Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday's revival of a whole different kind)
27-Feb
Many Leagues Under The Sea (formal night, dining cornucopia with seafood delicacies)
4-Mar
Chef's Dinner (formal night, culinary excellence in the La Fontaine Dining Room)
9-Mar
Indonesian Formal Night (colonial style formal night with indigenous culinary specialties)
17-Mar
St. Patrick's Day (formal night, partake in "the wearing of the green" and look for that pot of gold)
22-Mar
Oriental Night (formal night, time-honored theme to match your oriental wardrobe for this evening)
31-Mar
Maharadja & Maharani (formal night, don your Indian finery and feast like royalty)
7-Apr
1,001 Arabian Nights (formal night, relive the romance and passion of Scheherazade)
14-Apr
A Classic Formal Night (formal night, a chance to dress in near-bygone style)
22-Apr
Celebration Night & Dessert Extravaganza (formal night, the perfect chance to create memorable moments, concluded with our Pastry Chef's sweetest Grand Buffet imaginable)
26-Apr
Black & Gold Masked Ball (our final formal night of the cruise, join us for this classic Grand Ball in the Queen's Lounge - masks to be provided, or wear your own "maskerpiece")


No comments:

Post a Comment